Mold is an issue that every homeowner wants to avoid.  Not only can it be dangerous to your health but it can be costly to get rid of. You may wonder if you can do the remediation yourself and if so, what cleaners you should use. If you scour the internet, one of the first things you will find as an answer to mold is bleach, however, this is NOT a good idea. We are here to tell you why.

Bleach is NOT a Good Idea

Bleach is often thought to be an answer for removing and stopping mold growth and a lot of people think this is the easy way out. Yet while bleach may be effective in certain instances it will never get rid of mold on porous materials and can even make some mold problems worse.

Bleach is only designated for non-porous surfaces which means that it can only kill surface mold. Because mold can grow deep roots within porous surfaces, such as wood and drywall, it is not effective in completely eliminating the mold. It will not penetrate to the roots therefore, it remains on the surface. What is worse, is that the water component of bleach can soak further, which can actually contribute to further mold growth. This leads people to think they have completely eliminated the mold when in fact it is actually growing further.

Your Not Treating the Source

Mold can only grow when it has a source of moisture. You must get to the root of what is causing the mold. If you do not fix the moisture issue, then the mold will simply return. Bleach is just a temporary fix to a larger problem. Once the source of the water intrusion has been found, you must either eliminate or ventilate the source of water or moisture. Affected materials, such as carpets or drywall, may need to be replaced. This should all be done by a professional. 

Bleach is Harmful

Bleach fumes pollute the air and can be harmful to both humans and pets.  The more you use bleach, the more you endanger yourself and your family. Inhaling bleach can cause damage to your lungs and organs. When using bleach, some people have reported feeling stinging in their nose and eyes, coughing, and lightheadedness, all of which indicate the corrosive properties of the substance. Bleach also puts pollutants into the environment. There are many safer alternatives which are also much more effective at getting rid of mold.

Calling a Profesional Is ALWAYS Best

Always consult a professional before trying to remove mold yourself. The EPA recommends that any mold problem larger than 10 square feet be examined by an expert. Mold is a serious issue and should not be taken lightly. There are safety precautions that need to be taken when you clean mold. That is why professionals wear protective clothing and use special equipment. Mold spores can be toxic and dangerous for your health. Many people are allergic to mold. You do not want to expose yourself to this during cleaning.

The bottom line is, although some home projects are simple to do yourself, mold removal is not one of them. If you need help with mold removal, leave it to a professional. Here at Servicemaster Restoration, we offer the best in mold clean up. Our trained technicians use the latest mold remediation and drying techniques to deliver quality results. Call us today at 704-527-1151.