The microwave oven has become a necessity in just about every American household. With the busy lives we all lead; the microwave can be a life saver when it comes to cooking food quickly. Although the microwave undoubtedly makes most days easier, it can also unfortunately be a fire hazard or cause injuries if not treated properly. That is why we have created a list of safety guidelines that you can follow when it comes to your microwave. Please keep these in mind while using your oven.

 

10 SAFETY RULES FOR YOUR MICROWAVE

  1. Never leave your microwave unattended while it is in use.

  2. Avoid cooking food for high amounts of time, it is always best to cook in short periods of time to avoid a fire or accidental burning.

  3. Do not cook plastic items in your microwave. Plastic can melt and give off toxic chemicals when heated. Make sure you only use microwave safe containers.

  4. Don’t cook metal items in your microwave such as aluminum containers or aluminum foil.

  5. Food can cook unevenly in your microwave so be sure to stir and test it before consuming or giving to anyone.

  6. Heating water for a long time is a bad idea as it can cause burning when removed.

  7. Older children may want to use the microwave when becoming independent, always supervise them.

  8. Make sure you wait a few seconds before taking hot food out, decreasing the risk for burns. 

  9. Clean your microwave frequently because grease and food residue can ignite increasing the risk for fire.

  10. Never use an extension cord when plugging in your microwave, it should always be directly plugged into the outlet.

We hope our tips can help you to prevent a potential accident or fire from occurring. Should you experience a fire in your microwave never open the door. Keep it closed, press the cancel button and unplug it immediately. The fire should subside on its own. If for some reason it does not, have a fire extinguisher ready. If a fire becomes uncontrollable, get out of your home and call 911. As always if you need us, we are here 24/7, 365 days a week. ServiceMaster Restoration specializes in fire mitigation and are prepared to handle damages should a fire emergency occur!

 ServiceMaster Restore Logo

Give us a call at 704-527-1151