Did you know that most house fires start in the kitchen? Cooking accidents are the number one cause of fires in homes. Sometimes when you are cooking with oil, a grease fire can ignite. Grease fires are scary because they need to be handled differently than a normal fire, that is why you need to know how to handle this type of fire in the case it should happen to you. It is easy to get overwhelmed and not able to think straight when a fire starts. Don’t panic, we’ve got you covered.

Steps to take if you have a grease fire ( reminder that the following is only if the fire is small, anything too large requires that you immediately call 911.)

1. First, turn off the burner on your stove immediately.
2. Second, DO NOT pour water over the fire. Water will make a grease fire worse or cause it to explode.
3. If the fire is fairly small, you can attempt to pour baking soda over it, but you will need to use a large amount. Another option is to place a pot lid over the fire. Try not to use a glass lid and make sure you put on oven mitts to be on the safe side.
4. If the above does not work, use a fire extinguisher to put out the fire. However, there is a possibility that this can damage your kitchen but your safety is of utmost importance.
5. Of course, if the fire is too large to handle on your own, the best thing to do is get of your home and call 911.

if you experience a fire in your home, you will need a restoration company who can handle the damage. ServiceMaster Restoration is the number one choice for you. Specializing in fire mitigation, we offer emergency services. We offer 24/7 on call services and would love to help restore your home and your peace of mind .
Call us at 704-527-1151.